This fall favorite is perfect for when you need a quick fix! The Italian sausage pairs GREAT with the pumpkin, but you can also substitute chicken sausage for a healthier twist!
Pumpkin Sausage Pasta
From Simply In Season by Mary Beth Lind and Cathleen Hockman-Wert
1lb penne pasta
1lb bulk sweet italian sausage.
1 medium onion
4 cloves garlic
1 bay leave
2 TB fresh sage (cut in thin strips)
1 cup white wine or chicken broth
1 cup chicken broth
1 cup pumpkin or winter squash (pureed)
1/2 cup evaporated milk
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
coarse salt and pepper to taste
1. Cook and drain pasts, set aside.
2. In deep pan, coated with cooking spray or oil, brown sausage over medium-high heat. When cooked, remove meat and set aside. Drain fat from pan and return pan to stove.
3. Add finely chopped onion and minced garlic to pan and saute until soft, 3-5 minutes.
4. Add bay leaf, sage and wine (or 1 cup of the chicken stock) to the pan. Cook until half of the liquid evaporates, about 2 minutes.
5. Mix in the chicken broth and the pumpkin/squash puree and stir until the sauce starts to bubble. Add sausage and reduce heat.
6. Stir in milk. Add seasonings and simmer 5-10 minutes to thicken. Remove bay leaf. Combine sauce and pasta and toss over low heat for 1 minute. Garnish with freshly grated Parmesan cheese and sage if desired.