Treat yourself and your baby to a pregnancy massage, available right here at Brookhaven.
Massage Therapy is well known to decrease muscle tension, improve circulation, and promote relaxation. Pregnancy specific massage techniques can greatly improve your pregnancy, for both you and your baby. To highlight some of the many benefits, you may find that a prenatal massage will:
- Decrease stress hormones, and increase “feel good” hormones
- Improve sleep
- Reduce low back and hip discomfort
- Reduce muscle tension and headaches
- Reduce swelling in lower legs, ankles and feet
Additionally, when specific techniques and trigger points are incorporated into the massage at full-term, massage can help to induce labor.
The postpartum period is also a great time for a massage, to help the body readjust and rejuvenate. A postpartum massage can help to:
- Relieve muscle tension from the exertion of labor
- Clear excess fluid from the body
- Improve postpartum hormone balance
- Support the breastfeeding hormones, prolactin and oxytocin
- Relieve back and neck aches from breastfeeding
- Promote relaxation and better sleep
Consider treating yourself to a postpartum massage at three days postpartum, and throughout the next few months. Newborns are welcome to come along and be present, and to nurse as needed. However, some moms find it more relaxing to bring a “helper” along, to assist with the baby as needed.
Erin Hurst is a Licensed Massage Therapist (LMT), in addition to being Board Certified in Therapeutic Massage and Bodywork (BCTMB), the highest credential in the Massage Therapy and Bodywork profession. Erin is also a Certified Nurturing the Mother® Pregnancy Massage Therapist. She lives in Keezletown, with her husband and two girls, both of whom were born with help of the women at Brookhaven. Erin is excited to offer her services at Brookhaven on Tuesday afternoons.
Erin Hurst, BCTMB
Call or text to schedule an appointment